Student Frequently Asked Questions

1. Who is eligible? To be eligible for individual coverage, a student must enroll in an accredited degree program or a program approved for candidacy.
2. Why do I need coverage while I am in school? Unfortunately, malpractice risk starts while you are in school. Even as a student, you can be sued for malpractice while performing your duties in field placement as part of your school curriculum. Whether the charges are justified or not, you will have to defend yourself. At the start of your career this is not a risk you should be willing to take.
3. How much coverage can I get as a student? With individual student coverage, you can protect your future career and personally protect yourself and possibly your family against costly legal fees and malpractice damages. Select the limit of liability that’s right for you. Your liability limit per claim can range from $1 million to $2 million for all damages arising from each claim of wrong doing or omission. The annual aggregate(maximum) limits range from $1 million to $4 million.
4. What is covered with this malpractice insurance program? In addition to the liability limits you select, you receive other important benefits with your coverage.

  • Designated legal counsel and payment of related defense cost are provided.
  • No deductible insurance against claims from your professional training.

Protection against acts occuring during the policy period even though the claim is submitted after the policy expires.

5. Who provides the insurance coverage? American Professional Agency administers the malpractice program. The program is underwritten by the Darwin National Assurance Company.
6. How much does this coverage cost? Depending on the limits you select:

  • $1,000,000 / $1,000,000 = $23
  • $1,000,000 / $3,000,000 = $35
  • $2,000,000 / $4,000,000 = $41
7. Am I covered if my school has malpractice insurance for its students? Yes. If your college or university has professional liability insurance blanket coverage for your school, you are covered under that policy for your practicum work. It is important to know that once you enter the workforce as a professional, there could be gaps in coverage offered by your employer. Maintaining your own individual professional liability policy as a professional will ensure that you are completely covered.
8. Will this insurance cover me if I get a part-time job? No, the student liability program is designed to cover the risk associated with field study placement only and does not cover employment related activities. If you get a job that is not part of your school sponsored curriculum, you will need additional coverage for those activities. You may apply for an individual professional policy or you may be able to obtain coverage through your employer.
9. How soon will the insurance coverage begin after the application is submitted? When mailing your application, insurance coverage begins the first day of the month following acceptance of the application and payment. If coverage is needed immediately, a written request is needed. If you apply online, coverage can begin at the time the on-line application is submitted.

10. How do I make a payment? The quickest way to obtain coverage is to (click here) to apply online and pay by credit card. You may also (click here) to download a paper application, fax your application to 1-631-691-2497, and pay for your coverage by credit card online.

If you prefer to mail a paper application and check payable to the American Professional Agency, Inc., please send your application, check and correspondence by mail to:

American Professional Agency, Inc.
95 Broadway
Amityville, NY 11701
11. Who can I call if I have additional questions? If you have questions, please call our program administrator, the American Professional Agency, Inc., at 1-800-421-6694 (Ext: #2265) or ask to speak to the Student department. They will be happy to answer all your questions.


Leaders in Professional Liability/Malpractice Insurance