NAADAC, the Association for Addiction Professionals has endorsed our Addiction Counselors Professional Liability program. Our policy covers individuals in a wide variety of modalities related to the addiction recovery field.
More information about the APA, Inc’s program for malpractice insurance for addiction counselors can be found in “Frequently Asked Questions” in the Forms and Information section. If you need assistance for addiction counselor professional liability, call 1-800-421-6694 X 2312.
PROGRAM BENEFITS AND HIGHLIGHTS
• Defense Expenses related to Licensing Board Hearings and Other Proceedings: Limit of $5000 per proceeding is included with NO annual aggregate; optional increase of defense expense limit is available up to $150,000 (Maryland Residents require a separate policy for this coverage)
• First Party Assault and Battery Coverage: Reimbursement up to $25,000 in medical expenses related to injuries and/or personal property damage caused by a patient or client
• Medical Payments Coverage: Limit of $100,000 for Medical Payments to a patient or client arising from bodily injury on your business premises
• Emergency Aid Coverage: Reimbursement to you up to $15,000 for costs and expenses for medical supplies and lost earnings up to $100 due to the provision of volunteer emergency treatment or services
• Fire Legal Liability Coverage: $150,000 liability limit for fire damage to third party property
• Premises Liability: Bodily Injury Coverage and/or Damage to property of patients on your primary office locations(s) with no additional cost
• Information Privacy Coverage (HIPAA): Up to $25,000 defense provided for Federal and state regulators who investigate you for violations of privacy protections statutes (where allowed by law)
• Subpoena for Records: Limit up to $50,000
• Insurer will pay the Insured up to $1,000 per day for loss of earnings, if the Insured is unable to render Professional Services while assisting in the defense of a covered Claim
• Limits up to $2 million per occurrence/$4 million per policy year: “Prior Acts” coverage is available; therefore, it is not necessary to purchase tail coverage to change to our policy
• No Surcharge for Claims and there is No Deductible
• Individual, group and corporate coverage – separate limits of liability are included
• Broad coverage at affordable rates includes Personal and Advertising Injury Coverage, Publishing of articles or books and broadcasting activities, Tele-therapy Coverage and Forensic Practice Coverage
• Coverage for Peer Review and Utilization Review Activities
• Payment of Defense Expenses is in addition to the Limit of Liability for Professional and General Business Liability Coverages
• Insuring company has an A.M. Best rating of “A” with strong financial stability
• Online credit card processing and confirmation is available same day in most cases
• Experienced claims professionals and knowledgeable customer service representatives are easily accessible by telephone
RISK MANAGEMENT SERVICES
• Risk Management Consultation Services are accessible for our policyholders with experienced and professional risk managers, on a variety of topics, such as record requests/retention, privacy questions and other risk related issues
• Discounted online Risk Management Courses with BehavioralHealth, Zurinstitute and Telehealth.
• 35% Part Time Discount is available for up to 20 client hours a week – employment can be excluded
• 5% Risk Management Discount for 3 hours of pre-qualified Risk Management Courses (Above Coverage Features and Discounts are subject to individual state approval and underwriting requirements)
Our Addiction Counselor Professional Liability Discounts are available to all applicants based upon your qualifications and approval.
Please contact our customer service department to discuss your requirements.
A 35% discount is available if you are Part-Time
(20 hours or less a week).
Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI) 10% Diiscount for APA, Inc. Policyholders
American Professional Agency partnered with Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI) to bring our policyholders a 10% discount on Telehealth Micro Certification packages.
Behavioral Health CE
You can now save 5% on your insurance premium by taking online risk management courses.
To assist you in obtaining your premium discount, we have negotiated a special benefit exclusive to our clients. APA, Inc. Policyholders receive an unlimited 10% discount on all courses taken at BehavioralHealthCE.com. Simply obtain the current discount code in your renewal packet or contact APA, Inc. or BHCE.
All BehavioralHealthCE.com courses are completed online.
Unlike other CE providers, all BHCE courses can be viewed for free prior to purchasing your CE credits, so your satisfaction is guaranteed!
All members of NAADAC who are licensed/certified addiction counselors or certified Peer Recovery Support Specialists are eligible for coverage.
This policy will not provide coverage if you do not have a license and one is required for the type of practice and jurisdiction you are practicing in. If you are unlicensed, please check with your state regulatory board.
American Professional Agency, Inc. of Amityville, New York administers the Professional Liability Insurance program. The program is underwritten by Darwin National Assurance Company a subsidiary of Allied World Assurance Company, rated “A” XV by A.M. Best and in the top 100 insurers in the nation for financial size.
You may want to consult with your attorney to determine the limits you should purchase.
Many managed-care entities, hospitals, facilities and municipalities will require that you carry at least $1 million per incident and $3 million aggregate. We offer up to $2 million per claim and $4 million aggregate coverage.
Yes, provided your total working hours in all positions including your W2-form employment do not exceed 20 hours a week. You may exclude your activities as a W2 employee to obtain the part-time rate. The rates are available on this page.
Yes, the policy can be tailored to the way you practice, however you would not be eligible for the exclusively employed rate. Both part-time and full-time rates are available; the rates are available on our this page.
Yes, there is a $5000.00 defense reimbursement limit per incident included in the policy; higher limits up to $150,000 are available at an additional charge. You may select the higher limits when you apply or make the change at a later date, at which time you may contact our office ate (800) 421-6694 Ext.2312 to obtain the form and cost.
Yes, there is Information Privacy Coverage included in the policy with defense limits up to $25,000 for federal and state regulators who investigate you for violations of the privacy protections statute (where allowed by law).
Premises liability coverage is included in the policy. This coverage is for bodily injury and/or damage to property of patients on your primary location(s). To review the policy, please scroll down to the section named “Policies”. You can find specific information on pahe 1 of the contract uner:
I. INSURING AGREEMENTS
B.General Business Liability
Additional information on Fire Legal Liability, Medical Payments coverage and other coverages included in the Social Workers Professional Liability insurance are explained in the Policy Contract. If you prefer to speak with a representative please contact American Professional Agency, Inc. at (800) 421-6694 Ext.2312 or (631)691-6400 Ext.2312 for assistance.
There is First Party Assault and Battery Coverage reimbursement up to $25,000 in medical expenses related to injuries and/or personal property damage caused by a patient or client. Please consult our policy for a full description of the coverage and benefits included going to the “Policies” section on this page.
Yes, risk management consultative services are accessible to our policyholders for a variety of topics such as record requests/retention, privacy questions and other risk related issues. To contact our knowledgeable risk managers please call (800) 897-0033.
Please contact American Professional Agency at (800) 421-6694 Ext.2312 or (631)691-6400 Ext.2312 for assistance or you may email us at email@example.com or you may also fax it.
Our Addiction Counselors are covered on a Claims-Made Coverage Form. On a Claims- Made form, a claim made against a counselor is covered under their current policy in force. If an insured decides not to renew a policy in a given year, an “Extended Reporting Period Endorsement” or “tail coverage”, may be necessary to protect against claims presented after the policy expires. A few advantages to our Claims Made program include:
a. Claims Made policies cost less than Occurrence form policies.
b. If limits are increased during the years of coverage, the current higher limits apply to a claim made during policy period.
c. Free lifetime “tail coverage” is available if the insured permanently retires, is permanently disabled or has died.
d. If an insured chooses to move coverage to another carrier on an Occurrence form, or an insured decides to stay in practice but drop insurance coverage, “tail coverage” can be purchased at a low cost. Claim history will not prevent an insured from purchasing tail coverage.
For a more detailed explanation of Claims Made vs. Occurrence, call one of our underwriters in the Addiction Counselors Dept at (800) 421-6694.
Even though you are covered under your employers policy, here are reasons you should still purchase your own separate liability coverage:
a. Your employer’s coverage may not provide coverage for you for past incidents once you leave their employment.
b.Your employer’s coverage may lapse or be cancelled without your knowledge.
c. Coverage provided by your workplace generally will not cover you for actions brought against you by a licensing board or other regulatory body. This coverage is available on an individual policy written through APA, Inc.
d. A large claim brought against your employer and you may exhaust your employer’s policy limits. Further defense costs or judgments may have to be paid out of your own pocket.
e. Having your own individual coverage gives you “peace of mind” that you have an insurance carrier that represents your interests only.
You may obtain an application by going to the “Applications” section, then download and print the application which can be scanned to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed. You may also contact out office via email or call (800) 421-6694 Ext.2312 and we will mail or email you the form.
The fastest way to apply is online. If you are sending a paper application the fastest method is to download and print an application and scan to email@example.com or FAX; we will then set up a payment by credit card and send an email with instructions to make your payment. You may also use an online check. If you prefer to mail the application and a check (payable to the American Professional Agency, Inc) send it to:
American Professional Agency, Inc.
Attn: Mental Health Department
Amityville, NY 11701
Call the Program Administrator, American Professional Agency, Inc. at 800-421-6694 and ask for the Addiction Counselor Dept. You will always get a live person when you call and they will be happy to answer your questions.
Claims Made vs. Occurrence Form Professional Liability Policies
There are two primary policy forms for Professional Liability Coverage – the Claims Made Form and Occurrence Form. Many types of professional liability coverage, including Directors and Officers Liability and Employment Practices Liability, are only written on a Claims Made Form. Here are the differences between the two forms:
When a policyholder has an Occurrence form, an incident that occurs during the policy period will be covered by that policy, regardless of how many years later the claim is reported. Incidents that occur before the occurrence form policy is issued are not covered.
CLAIMS MADE FORM
When a policyholder has a Claims Made form, a claim that is made against the insured is covered by the policy in force at the time the claim is made. A retroactive date is usually established as the day the very first Claims Made policy is issued. All subsequent renewal policies use the same initial retroactive date. Claims occurring before the original retroactive date are not covered.
When a policyholder decides not to renew a Claims Made Form, an Extended Reporting Period (ERP) endorsement may need to be purchased. This endorsement does not need to be purchased if:
♦ The policyholder switches insurance companies and remains on a Claims Made Form with the new company keeping the same original retro date.
♦ The policyholder switches insurance companies and goes on an Occurrence Form which is endorsed with a “Prior Acts” endorsement as of the original retro date.
With the APA, Inc. policy underwritten by Allied World Insurance Company, an unlimited Extended Reporting Period endorsement is provided free of charge when a policyholder no longer needs to renew or cancels coverage due to permanent retirement (must be age 55 or older and an APA, Inc. policyholder for at least 5 years), permanent disability or death. Therefore, a policyholder will only need to purchase ERP coverage in the event the policyholder chooses to switch to another insurer who does not offer a Prior Acts coverage endorsement, or is under age 55 and/or an APA, Inc. policyholder for less than five years when deciding to retire. In these instances, the one time cost for the ERP endorsement is 175% of the expiring premium.
BENEFITS OF AN OCCURRENCE FORM
♦ No need to buy Extended Reporting endorsement
DISADVANTAGES OF AN OCCURRENCE FORM
Because a claim can sometimes be filed 10 years or more after a professional liability incident, the policyholder may have the following uncertainties:
♦ Tracking which Occurrence policy in the past will respond to the claim just filed.
♦ The former Insurance Company may no longer be solvent. If the Insurance Company filed bankruptcy, the policyholder would have to rely on state Guaranty Funds which usually provide lower limits and services.
♦ Whether the past policy now has adequate limits due to inflation.
BENEFITS OF A CLAIMS MADE FORM
♦ Less expensive than Occurrence form, especially in the first four years of coverage of the Allied World Insurance form. After five years, the Claims Made Premium levels off. The lower cost for the first four years is especially attractive to professionals just starting their career.
♦ Flexible – Recently increased limits and broadening endorsements will apply to past incidents that are reported under the current policy and occurred after the retro date. For example, $500,000 per occurrence limit may have been considered adequate when a Claims Made form was first issued years ago. Today, $1,000,000 or even $2,000,000 may
be considered adequate due to inflation. If a Claims Made policy is endorsed today to $2,000,000 limits, these higher limits will apply to a covered incident that may have happened two, five, ten years ago or more.
♦ Less uncertainty as to the current company’s financial stability. Coverage can be switched to another carrier with no lapse of coverage if your agent determines the current carrier is in financial difficulty.
DISADVANTAGE OF A CLAIMS MADE FORM
♦ Need to plan for Extended Reporting Period endorsement when deciding not to renew a Claims Made form. Your APA, Inc. underwriter will guide you when or if an Extended Reporting Period endorsement is needed. You will also receive formal written notice when your Claims Made policy lapses or non renews to remind you of your need to investigate your need for this endorsement.
Cyber and Security Coverages For Mental Health Professionals
Mental Health Professionals who maintain confidential patient / employee information have a responsibility to safeguard that data. With data breaches and cyber attacks becoming increasingly common, having the right cyber protection in place is critical. We offer Cyber Suite, a comprehensive coverage endorsement with multiple layers of insurance defense against the complex, ever-evolving cyber risks that psychologists face every day.
Highlights of the Endorsement
• Data compromise response expense – provides the resources to respond to a breach of personal information.
• Computer attack – provides resources to respond to a computer attack.
• Cyber extortion – responds to an extortion threat.
• Data compromise liability – provides defense and settlement costs in the event of a suit related to a breach of personal information.
• Network security liability – provides defense and settlement costs in the event of a suit alleging that a system security failure on the part of the insured caused damage to a third party.
• Electronic media liability – provides defense and settlement costs in the event of a suit alleging that the insured infringed on a copyright or trademark, defamed a person or organization, or violated a person’s right to privacy.
• Identity recovery – provides owners of the insured practice with case management service and financial resources to recover control of their identities after an identity theft.
Access to eRiskHub®, a risk management portal designed to help prepare and respond effectively to data breach and cyber attacks.
• Access to “TechQ” which offers FREE computer diagnostics by phone and competitive rates for virus removal, technical assistance and related digital security services.
• Access to experts in recovering from cyber extortion and data breaches.
• Toll-free helpline to educate insureds about data breaches, cyber extortion and identity theft.
• Process to request case management services and submit expense reimbursement claims.
Managed by experienced and dedicated cyber claim specialists with industry knowledge.
Available as a coverage endorsement to existing American Professional Agency psychologists insureds. Available in most states on an admitted basis.
Limits and Cost:
• Only $381 for an aggregate Limit of $100,000.
(May not be approved in all states & rates may vary)
• Sublimits and/or a $1,000 deductible for certain coverages may apply.
• Higher limits/options available.
Please contact American Professional Agency at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-421-6694 (x2312) to learn more about our comprehensive cyber coverage endorsement.
Other professionals are saying...
The customer service I receive from APA is phenomenal. They are patient, kind, and incredibly knowledgeable. Most importantly, they communicate important details in a clear, comprehensive manner. They understand the role of the school psychologist and the issues we often face. Knowing that I am with APA, means knowing I have an advocate who supports my work.
– Andrew Shanock, PhD, NCSP
Thank you for your always stellar profession-ism. You are the only agency I look forward to speaking with every year because your staff is always positive, thorough and you get the job done.
– Jane Bodine, LCPC
I want to thank you for the years of excellent service that I have received from you. Twice I have needed to call upon you for legal issues in my practice, and in both cases, I was given excellent advice and service. The first lawyer I worked with was especially professional and helpful.
– Carol Arvin, LMHC
The customer service representative took the time to fully engage with this client. She was attentive to my needs. She demonstrated active listening skills, empathetic listening skills, as well as consistently seeking adequate clarification skills. In doing so, she provided this veteran with excellent customer service.
– Brittany England
My name is Patty Meek; I am a school psychologist in private practice and have professional coverage through American Professional Agency, Inc. I operate in the same fast-paced, sometimes seemingly insane world that most of us live in, and the people at American Professional Agency have, for years, always provided a breath of fresh air. Guess what? They answer the phones. They seem genuinely happy with their jobs and their days, and they seem to like each other. And when I have a question, I get help immediately. It’s hard to believe a business like this still exists, but it does! I cannot recommend American Professional Agency highly enough.
– Patty Meek, Ph.D.
I have been a customer of Allied for many years and have consistently experienced some of the best customer service I have encountered. All my requests or questions, whether on the phone or in writing, are dealt with promptly, politely and professionally. Even better everyone I talk to on the phone is kind, friendly and helpful. It is a pleasure dealing with a company – I am consistently impressed with your service. Thank you.
– Catherine Christo
Thank you for your excellent service and kindness – as always. Between your company and my Attorney, I am pleased with the process and outcome.
– Roger C. Rinn, Ph. D
Thanks! Just a quick note to let you know I notice and appreciate your assistance and responsiveness! A very pleasant experience in this day and age of cookie-cutter customer service.
– Steven I. Altchuler
I am proud to say I have been covered by APA, Inc. for 9 years. They are always available to answer questions, even about the mere specter of liability. I know I can trust them with my practice.
– Jennifer Palmer
Credit Card Payments are accepted on-line only, we do not accept credit card payments over the phone. The name on your credit card MUST match the name on your policy (for identity verification purposes).
Please call our office at (800) 421-6694 for information on how to easily pay by Credit Card.
We accept the following:
Now accepting checks online!
Contact us for more information.
American Professional Agency is committed to providing you with current and competitive policies, prices and professional liability news. Feel free to contact us regarding any concerns or needs that you may have with your existing policy or the purchase of a new policy.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Eastern Time
Summer Hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Eastern Time
(Memorial day through Labor Day)
American Professional Agency, Inc.
Amityville, NY 11701
To speak with one of our knowledgeable customer service representatives, please call (800) 421-6694 or (631) 691-6400. Having your account number or policy number available will expedite the process.