Qualifications for clergy and pastoral counselors professional liability insurance require a minimum of a Masters in divinity or a Masters in theology.
Please refer to our rate charts which list the applicable degrees as well as the areas of coverage under each Group heading. We offer great rates with multiple premium discounts.
PROGRAM BENEFITS AND HIGHLIGHTS
• Defense Expenses related to Licensing Board Hearings and Other Proceedings: Limit of $5000 per proceeding is included with NO annual aggregate; optional increase of defense expense limit is available up to $150,000 (Maryland Residents require a separate policy for this coverage)
• First Party Assault and Battery Coverage: Reimbursement up to $25,000 in medical expenses related to injuries and/or personal property damage caused by a patient or client
• Medical Payments Coverage: Limit of $100,000 for Medical Payments to a patient or client arising from bodily injury on your business premises
• Emergency Aid Coverage: Reimbursement to you up to $15,000 for costs and expenses for medical supplies and lost earnings up to $100 due to the provision of volunteer emergency treatment or services
• Fire Legal Liability Coverage: $150,000 liability limit for fire damage to third party property
• Premises Liability: Bodily Injury Coverage and/or Damage to property of patients on your primary office locations(s) with no additional cost
• Information Privacy Coverage (HIPAA): Up to $25,000 defense provided for Federal and state regulators who investigate you for violations of privacy protections statutes (where allowed by law)
• Limits up to $2 million per occurrence/$4 million per policy year: “Prior Acts” coverage is available; therefore, it is not necessary to purchase tail coverage to change to our policy
• No Surcharge for Claims and there is No Deductible
• Individual, group and corporate coverage – separate limits of liability are included
• Broad coverage at affordable rates includes Personal and Advertising Injury Coverage, Publishing of articles or books and broadcasting activities, Tele-therapy Coverage and Forensic Practice Coverage
• Coverage for Peer Review and Utilization Review Activities
• Payment of Defense Expenses is in addition to the Limit of Liability for Professional and General Business Liability Coverages
• Insuring company has an A.M. Best rating of “A” with strong financial stability
• Online credit card processing and confirmation is available same day in most cases
• Experienced claims professionals and knowledgeable customer service representatives are easily accessible by telephone
RISK MANAGEMENT SERVICES
• Risk Management Consultation Services are accessible for our policyholders with experienced and professional risk managers, on a variety of topics, such as record requests/retention, privacy questions and other risk related issues
• Discounted online Risk Management Courses with BehavioralHealth, Zurinstitute and Telehealth.
• 35% Part Time Discount is available for up to 20 client hours a week – employment can be excluded
• 5% Risk Management Discount for 3 hours of pre-qualified Risk Management Courses (Above Coverage Features and Discounts are subject to individual state approval and underwriting requirements)
Our Mental Health Counselor’s program offers coverage to individuals who hold degrees in a wide variety of modalities. Discounts are available to you, providing you meet the requirements.
Please contact our customer service department if you have questions about discount qualifications.
A 35% discount is available if you are Part-Time
(20 hours or less a week).
Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI) 10% Diiscount for APA, Inc. Policyholders
American Professional Agency partnered with Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI) to bring our policyholders a 10% discount on Telehealth Micro Certification packages.
Behavioral Health CE
You can now save 5% on your insurance premium by taking online risk management courses.
To assist you in obtaining your premium discount, we have negotiated a special benefit exclusive to our clients. APA, Inc. Policyholders receive an unlimited 10% discount on all courses taken at BehavioralHealthCE.com. Simply obtain the current discount code in your renewal packet or contact APA, Inc. or BHCE.
All BehavioralHealthCE.com courses are completed online.
Unlike other CE providers, all BHCE courses can be viewed for free prior to purchasing your CE credits, so your satisfaction is guaranteed!
There is no membership requirement to purchase the professional liability insurance. You are eligible if you hold a minimum of a bachelors degree in the field of mental health, providing that you have supervision by a masters level mental health professional, or if you hold a masters degree or above.
American Professional Agency, Inc. is the Program Administer for the Mental Health and Marriage and Family Therapists Professional Liability Insurance program. The program is underwritten by Allied World Insurance Company, a member company of Allied World Assurance Company Holdings, GmbH, a Fairfax Company (“Allied World”).
No, there is no deductible applied should a claim arise.
A claims-made policy will provide professional liability coverage for you for incidents that happen between the effective date and the expiration date of your policy, the claim must be reported while the policy is in force. An Extended Reporting Period Endorsement, or “tail”, is necessary to protect against claims presented after the policy expires.
An Extended Reporting Period Endorsement (ERP) or “tail” allows you to terminate your policy, and still have coverage for future claims that are made based on events that occurred during the time period your policy was in force. The (ERP) is only available when the policy is terminated and it may be obtained for a charge. If you become permanently disabled, or in the event of your death or if you permanently retire, are 55 years or older and have held the policy for 5 years or more the “tail” is offered to you free of charge.
Claims-made liability insurance has small stepped increases during the early years for each individual insured on the policy. Your rates increase for 5 years and then level off or mature. You should not expect additional rate increases on a mature claims-made policy unless you make changes to the policy.
Some states may require that you carry a minimum amount of coverage so it may be best that you check with your state licensing or regulatory board. You may also find that most managed-care entities, hospitals, and facilities require you to carry a minimum limit of $1,000,000 per incident and $3,000,000 aggregate. A limit of liability as high as $2,000,000 per claim/ $4,000,000 aggregate is available (unless a higher limit is required by your state).
Yes, provided your total working hours in all positions including your W2-form employment do not exceed 20 hours a week. You may exclude your activities as a W2 employee to obtain the part-time rate. The rates are available on this page.
Yes, you will pay less if you are only work as a W2-form employee. The rates are available on our website www.AmericanProfessional.com.
Yes, the policy can be tailored to the way you practice, however you would not be eligible for the exclusively employed rate. Both part-time and full-time rates are available; the rates are available on our this page.
Yes, please call our office at (800) 421-6694 (ext. 2312) to discuss this type of coverage and to obtain a quote.
Yes, there is a $5000.00 defense reimbursement limit per incident included in the policy; higher limits up to $150,000 are available at an additional charge. You may select the higher limits when you apply or make the change at a later date, at which time you may contact our office ate (800) 421-6694 Ext.2312 to obtain the form and cost.
Yes, there is Information Privacy Coverage included in the policy with defense limits up to $25,000 for federal and state regulators who investigate you for violations of the privacy protections statute (where allowed by law).
Premises liability coverage is included in the policy. This coverage is for bodily injury and/or damage to property of patients on your primary location(s). To review the policy, please scroll down to the section named “Policies”. You can find specific information on pahe 1 of the contract uner:
I. INSURING AGREEMENTS
B.General Business Liability
Additional information on Fire Legal Liability, Medical Payments coverage and other coverages included in the Social Workers Professional Liability insurance are explained in the Policy Contract. If you prefer to speak with a representative please contact American Professional Agency, Inc. at (800) 421-6694 Ext.2312 or (631)691-6400 Ext.2312 for assistance.
There is First Party Assault and Battery Coverage reimbursement up to $25,000 in medical expenses related to injuries and/or personal property damage caused by a patient or client. Please consult our policy for a full description of the coverage and benefits included going to the “Policies” section on this page.
Yes, risk management consultative services are accessible to our policyholders for a variety of topics such as record requests/retention, privacy questions and other risk related issues. To contact our knowledgeable risk managers please call (800) 897-0033.
Please contact American Professional Agency at (800) 421-6694 Ext.2312 or (631)691-6400 Ext.2312 for assistance or you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may also fax to (631) 691-2259.
Yes, there is a 5% risk management discount that you may be eligible for if the course(s) meet certain criteria.
You may obtain an application by going to the “Applications” section, then download and print the application which can be scanned to email@example.com or faxed to (631) 691-2259. You may also contact out office via email or call (800) 421-6694 Ext.2312 and we will mail or email you the form.
The fastest way to apply is online. If you are sending a paper application the fastest method is to download and print an application and scan to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX to (631) 691-2259; we will then set up a payment by credit card and send an email with instructions to make your payment. You may also use an online check. If you prefer to mail the application and a check (payable to the American Professional Agency, Inc) send it to:
American Professional Agency, Inc.
Attn: Mental Health Department
Amityville, NY 11701
Our knowledgeable representatives are available and happy to assist you. Please call our switchboard at 800-421-6694 (Ext.2312) or 631-691-6400 (Ext. 2312), send an email to email@example.com or send a fax to (631) 691-2259.
Other professional are saying...
The customer service representative took the time to fully engage with this client. She was attentive to my needs. She demonstrated active listening skills, empathetic listening skills, as well as consistently seeking adequate clarification skills. In doing so, she provided this veteran with excellent customer service.
– Brittany England
My name is Patty Meek; I am a school psychologist in private practice and have professional coverage through American Professional Agency, Inc. I operate in the same fast-paced, sometimes seemingly insane world that most of us live in, and the people at American Professional Agency have, for years, always provided a breath of fresh air. Guess what? They answer the phones. They seem genuinely happy with their jobs and their days, and they seem to like each other. And when I have a question, I get help immediately. It’s hard to believe a business like this still exists, but it does! I cannot recommend American Professional Agency highly enough.
– Patty Meek, Ph.D.
I have been a customer of Allied for many years and have consistently experienced some of the best customer service I have encountered. All my requests or questions, whether on the phone or in writing, are dealt with promptly, politely and professionally. Even better everyone I talk to on the phone is kind, friendly and helpful. It is a pleasure dealing with a company – I am consistently impressed with your service. Thank you.
– Catherine Christo
Thank you for your excellent service and kindness – as always. Between your company and my Attorney, I am pleased with the process and outcome.
– Roger C. Rinn, Ph. D
Thanks! Just a quick note to let you know I notice and appreciate your assistance and responsiveness! A very pleasant experience in this day and age of cookie-cutter customer service.
– Steven I. Altchuler
I am proud to say I have been covered by APA, Inc. for 9 years. They are always available to answer questions, even about the mere specter of liability. I know I can trust them with my practice.
– Jennifer Palmer
Credit Card Payments are accepted on-line only, we do not accept credit card payments over the phone. The name on your credit card MUST match the name on your policy (for identity verification purposes).
Please call our office at (800) 421-6694 for information on how to easily pay by Credit Card.
We accept the following:
Now accepting checks online!
Contact us for more information.
American Professional Agency is committed to providing you with current and competitive policies, prices and professional liability news. Feel free to contact us regarding any concerns or needs that you may have with your existing policy or the purchase of a new policy.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Eastern Time
Summer Hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Eastern Time
(Memorial day through Labor Day)
American Professional Agency, Inc.
Amityville, NY 11701
To speak with one of our knowledgeable customer service representatives, please call (800) 421-6694 or (631) 691-6400. Having your account number or policy number available will expedite the process.