We are proud to offer members of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry a premier program for Psychiatrists Medical Professional Liability Insurance. If you need any assistance regarding our insurance please call (800) 421-6694 x-2318.
If you are a Neurologist please click here!
PRODUCT BENEFITS & HIGHLIGHTS:
- Defense Expenses related to Licensing Board Hearings and Other Proceedings: Limit of $50,000 per proceeding with NO annual aggregate (higher limits are available up to $150,000)
- Insured’s Consent to Settle is required in the settlement of any claim – No arbitration clause
- First Party Assault and Battery Coverage: Up to $25,000 reimbursement for medical expenses related to injuries and/or personal property damage caused by a patient or client
- Medical Payments Coverage: Limit of $100,000 for Medical Payments to a patient or client arising from bodily injury on your business premises
- Subpoena for Records: Limit up to $50,000
- Insurer will pay the Insured up to $1,000 per day for loss of earnings, if the Insured is unable to render Professional Services while assisting in the defense of a covered Claim
- Emergency Aid Coverage: Reimbursement up to $15,000 in costs and expenses for medical supplies and up to $100.00 in lost earnings expenses and lost earnings related to the provision of emergency treatment or services at the scene of an accident, medical crisis or disaster
- Punitive Damages Coverage: Limit of $250,000 (where allowable/insurable by law)
- Fire Legal Liability Coverage: $150,000 liability limit for fire damage to third party property
- Premises Liability: Bodily Injury Coverage and/or Damage to property of patients on your premises
- Information Privacy Coverage (HIPAA): Up to $25,000 defense provided for Federal and state regulators who investigate you for violations of privacy protections statutes (where allowed by law)
- Claims-Made (“prior acts” coverage is available therefore, it is not necessary to purchase tail coverage to change to our policy) or Occurrence-Based Coverage with limits up to $2 million per occurrence/$6 million per policy year
- No Surcharge for Claims and No Deductible
- Individual, group and corporate coverage – separate limits of liability are available
- Broad coverage policy includes Personal and Advertising Injury Coverage, Medical Director Coverage, Publishing of articles or books and broadcasting activities, Telemedicine Coverage, ECT Coverage, and Forensic Practice Coverage
- Coverage for Peer Review and Utilization Review Activities, Clinical Trials
- Payment of Defense Expenses is in addition to the Limit of Liability for Professional and General Business Liability Coverages
- Interest-free quarterly payments and online credit card processing are available
RISK MANAGEMENT SERVICES:
- Risk Management Consultation Services are accessible for our policyholders with experienced and professional risk managers, on a variety of topics, such as record requests/record retention, privacy questions and other practice related issues
- Our 24/7 Risk Management Support Hotline is available and can be used after regular business hours as a comprehensive service for emergency issues provided to our policyholders
- Frequent Educational Risk Management Presentations and written material are offered
- Online Risk Management Education Courses with Medical Risk Management, Inc.
- Quarterly Risk Management Newsletter written exclusively for psychiatrists
MULTIPLE PREMIUM DISCOUNTS:
- 50% Part Time Discount for up to 20 client hours a week or less
- Up to 50% New Doctor Discount (for those who qualify)
- 15% New Policyholder Discount (must be claims free for the last 6 months)
- Discounted Rate applies for those whose patient base is more than 50% Children and Adolescents
- 10% Claims Free Discount for those practicing 10 years, after completion of training, and remain claims free (where allowable)
- 5% Risk Management Discount for 3 hours of CME (Above Coverage Features and Discounts are subject to individual state approval)
* Coverage features and discounts are subject to individual state approval.
Please contact our office, if you need further clarification.
|15%||Child and adolescent Practitioners|
|10%||Claims Free Discount (Not available in NY)|
|50%||New Doctor First Year|
|35%||New Doctor Second Year|
|25%||New Doctor Third Year|
|15%||New Policy Holder (Not available in NY and AK)|
- New Business Application for all states except the following:
- Kansas New Business Application
- Maine New Business Application
- Maryland New Business Application
- New York New Business Application
- North Dakota New Business Application
- Short Renewal Questionnaire (Except NY)
- NY Short Renewal Questionnaire
- Renewal Application
- Kansas Renewal Application
- Maine Renewal Application
- Maryland Renewal Application
- New York Renewal Application
- North Dakota Renewal Application
Claims Made vs. Occurrence Form Professional Liability Policies
There are two primary policy forms for Professional Liability Coverage – the Claims Made Form and Occurrence Form. Many types of professional liability coverage, including Directors and Officers Liability and Employment Practices Liability, are only written on a Claims Made Form. Here are the differences between the two forms:
When a policyholder has an Occurrence form, an incident that occurs during the policy period will be covered by that policy, regardless of how many years later the claim is reported. Incidents that occur before the occurrence form policy is issued are not covered.
CLAIMS MADE FORM
When a policyholder has a Claims Made form, a claim that is made against the insured is covered by the policy in force at the time the claim is made. A retroactive date is usually established as the day the very first Claims Made policy is issued. All subsequent renewal policies use the same initial retroactive date. Claims occurring before the original retroactive date are not covered.
When a policyholder decides not to renew a Claims Made Form, an Extended Reporting Period (ERP) endorsement may need to be purchased. This endorsement does not need to be purchased if:
- The policyholder switches insurance companies and remains on a Claims Made Form with the new company keeping the same original retro date.
- The policyholder switches insurance companies and goes on an Occurrence Form which is endorsed with a “Prior Acts” endorsement as of the original retro date.
With the APA, Inc. policy underwritten by Allied World Insurance Company, an unlimited Extended Reporting Period endorsement is provided free of charge when a policyholder no longer needs to renew or cancels coverage due to permanent retirement (must be age 55 or older and an APA, Inc. policyholder for at least 5 years), permanent disability or death. Therefore, a policyholder will only need to purchase ERP coverage in the event the policyholder chooses to switch to another insurer who does not offer a Prior Acts coverage endorsement, or is under age 55 and/or an APA, Inc. policyholder for less than five years when deciding to retire. In these instances, the one time cost for the ERP endorsement is 175% of the expiring premium.
BENEFITS OF AN OCCURRENCE FORM
- No need to buy Extended Reporting endorsement
DISADVANTAGES OF AN OCCURRENCE FORM
Because a claim can sometimes be filed 10 years or more after a professional liability incident, the policyholder may have the following uncertainties:
- Tracking which Occurrence policy in the past will respond to the claim just filed.
- The former Insurance Company may no longer be solvent. If the Insurance Company filed bankruptcy, the policyholder would have to rely on state Guaranty Funds which usually provide lower limits and services.
- Whether the past policy now has adequate limits due to inflation.
BENEFITS OF A CLAIMS MADE FORM
- Less expensive than Occurrence form, especially in the first four years of coverage of the Allied World Insurance form. After five years, the Claims Made Premium levels off. The lower cost for the first four years is especially attractive to professionals just starting their career.
- Flexible – Recently increased limits and broadening endorsements will apply to past incidents that are reported under the current policy and occurred after the retro date. For example, $500,000 per occurrence limit may have been considered adequate when a Claims Made form was first issued years ago. Today, $1,000,000 or even $2,000,000 may
be considered adequate due to inflation. If a Claims Made policy is endorsed today to $2,000,000 limits, these higher limits will apply to a covered incident that may have happened two, five, ten years ago or more.
- Less uncertainty as to the current company’s financial stability. Coverage can be switched to another carrier with no lapse of coverage if your agent determines the current carrier is in financial difficulty.
DISADVANTAGE OF A CLAIMS MADE FORM
- Need to plan for Extended Reporting Period endorsement when deciding not to renew a Claims Made form. Your APA, Inc. underwriter will guide you when or if an Extended Reporting Period endorsement is needed. You will also receive formal written notice when your Claims Made policy lapses or non renews to remind you of your need to investigate your need for this endorsement.
Cyber and Security Coverages for Psychiatrists and Psychologists
Psychiatrists and Psychologists who maintain confidential patient / employee information have a responsibility to safeguard that data. With data breaches and cyber attacks becoming increasingly common, having the right cyber protection in place is critical. We offer Cyber Suite, a comprehensive coverage endorsement with multiple layers of insurance defense against the complex, ever-evolving cyber risks that psychiatrists, Psychologists and Mental Health Professionals face every day.
Available as a coverage endorsement to existing American Professional Agency insureds. Available in most states on an admitted basis.
Limits and Cost
- Only $381 for an aggregate Limit of $100,000.
(May not be approved in all states & rates may vary)
- Sublimits and/or a $1,000 deductible for certain coverages may apply.
- Higher limits /options available.
- Data compromise response expense coverage – designed to provide the resources to respond to a breach of personal information.
- Computer attack coverage – designed to provide resources to respond to a computer attack
- Cyber extortion coverage – designed to respond to an extortion threat.
- Data compromise liability coverage – designed to provide defense and settlement costs in the event of a suit related to a breach of personal information.
- Network security liability coverage – designed to provide defense and settlement costs in the event of a suit alleging that a system security failure on the part of the insured caused damage to a third party.
- Electronic media liability coverage – designed to provide defense and settlement costs in the event of a suit alleging that the insured infringed on a copyright or trademark, defamed a person or organization, or violated a person’s right to privacy.
- Identity recovery coverage – designed to provide the owners of the insured practice with case management service and financial resources to recover control of their identities after an identity theft.
- Access to eRiskHub®, a risk management portal designed to help prepare and respond effectively to data breach and cyber attacks. Key features of the eRiskHub® portal include: an incident response plan roadmap, online training modules, risk management tools to manage data breaches, a directory for external resources, a news center with current articles from industry resources, and a learning center with best practices and white papers.
- Access to “TechQ” which offers FREE computer diagnostics by phone and competitive rates for virus removal, technical assistance and related digital security services.
- Access to experts in recovering from cyber extortion and data breaches.
- Process to request case management services and submit expense reimbursement claims.
Managed by experienced and dedicated cyber claim specialists with industry knowledge. Click Here!
To learn more, please contact us at:
- For Psychiatrists: email@example.com or 800-421-6694 (x2318)
- For Psychologists: firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-421-6694 (x2304)
© 2020 The Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company. All rights reserved. This document is intended for information purposes only and does not modify or invalidate any of the provisions, exclusions, terms or conditions of the policy and endorsements. For specific terms and conditions, please refer to the coverage form.
“In Session with Allied World”
Quarterly Risk Management Newsletter
(Log in using Account Login to access all newsletters)
Risk Management Hotline
(for Insured Members)
Other Professionals are Saying...
I am writing to express my gratitude to the American Professional Agency, Inc. for the splendid service rendered in provision and administration of my professional liability coverage through your selected carrier for the past 16 years, during my private practice years.
– Arthur J. L Strauss, MD – Distinguished Life Fellow American Psychiatric Association Member
I have been pleased with the ease of contacting knowledgeable personnel at this Agency. They even on their own realized that I had overpaid for a premium and Sent me a refund.
– Robert – Psychiatrist, OH
They always respond very quickly to my needs.
– Joe – Psychiatrist, OK
Regarding a patient’s threat to sue about an issue for which there was no Substance, I immediately contacted the Risk Management Hotline. A knowledgeable, friendly, and professional representative was readily accessible, reassured me, and put me in contact immediately with the correct resources. I will certainly use this service in the future if the circumstance demands it.
– John – Psychiatrist, CO
I found the Team very open and friendly in answering questions at AACAP activities- especially with regards to work with APRN’s and integrated care.
– Psychiatric Access – DE
Quick response to my needs. They allocate a lawyer to help me with my case In less than 24 hours. Lawyers that work with APA Risk Management Service are very competent, know about the subject and easy to work with.
– Lama – Psychiatrist, NY
The Risk Management Program is one of the best tools that a good medical Practitioner can have in his briefcase. It enhances everything you do and provides the necessary peace of mind required nowadays to practice the profession.
– Jerome – Psychiatrist, WV
Credit Card Payments are accepted on-line only, we do not accept credit card payments over the phone. The name on your credit card MUST match the name on your policy (for identity verification purposes).
Please call our office at (800) 421-6694 for information on how to easily pay by Credit Card.
We accept the following:
Now accepting checks online!
Contact us for more information.
As our customers, The American Professional Agency is committed to helping you stay up-to-date with new policies, prices and professional liability news. Feel free to contact us regarding any concerns or needs you may have with your policy or the purchase of a new one.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Eastern Time
Summer Hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Eastern Time
(Memorial day through Labor Day)
American Professional Agency, Inc.
Amityville, NY 11701
To speak with a customer service representative, Call (800) 421-6694 or (631) 691-6400. If you can have your account number or policy number with you at the time of the call, it would expedite accessing your request.