If you are a STUDENT please click here to go to the student page.
In 1969, American Professional Agency created the original Social Workers Professional Liability Insurance program which became the largest leading program tailored for Social Workers in all types of practice settings. Association membership is no longer required in our Social Worker’s Program, providing great savings, comprehensive protection and a defense reimbursement limit of $35,000 for licensing board complaints included free of charge with NO annual aggregate limit and an option to increase the limit up to $150,000.
Our representatives have an outstanding reputation for their expertise and personal service, just ask your colleagues! Policyholders have access to exceptional in-house risk management guidance. We have successfully managed over 11,000 claims and potential claims against Social Workers exceeding $150,000,000.
*** No membership or dues required in any association to obtain this insurance ***
Program Benefits and Highlights
- Defense Expenses related to Licensing Board Hearings and Other Proceedings: Limit of $35,000 per proceeding is included with NO annual aggregate with an option to increase the limit up to $150,000
- First Party Assault and Battery Coverage: Reimbursement up to $25,000 in medical expenses related to injuries and/or personal property damage caused by a patient or client
- Medical Payments Coverage: Limit of $100,000 for Medical Payments to a patient or client arising from bodily injury on your business premises
- Emergency Aid Coverage: Reimbursement to you up to $15,000 for costs and expenses for medical supplies and lost earnings up to $100.00 due to the provision of volunteer emergency treatment or services
- Punitive Damages Coverage: Limit of $25,000 (where allowable/insurable by law)
- Fire Legal Liability Coverage: $150,000 liability limit for fire damage to third party property
- Premises Liability: Bodily Injury Coverage and/or Damage to property of patients on your
primary office locations(s) with no additional cost
- Information Privacy Coverage (HIPAA): Up to $25,000 defense provided for Federal and
State regulators who investigate you for violations of privacy protections statutes (where
allowable by law)
- Subpoena for Records: Limit up to $50,000
- Insurer will pay the Insured up to $1,000 per day for loss of earnings, if the Insured is unable to render Professional Services while assisting in the defense of a covered Claim
- Limits up to $2 million per occurrence/$4 million per policy year
- “Prior Acts” coverage is available; therefore, it is not necessary to purchase tail coverage to change to our policy
- No Surcharge for Claims, No Deductible and No association membership required
- Individual, group and corporate coverage – separate limits of liability are included
- Broad coverage at affordable rates includes Personal and Advertising Injury Coverage,
Publishing of articles or books and broadcasting activities, Telebehavioral Health Coverage and
Forensic Practice Coverage
- Unlimited Payment of Defense Expenses is in addition to the Limit of Liability for Professional and General Business Liability Coverages
- Insuring company has an A.M. Best rating of “A” (Excellent) with strong financial stability
- Online application processing and proof of coverage is available same day in most cases
- Experienced in-house claims professionals are available to assist with subpoenas, claims processing, licensing board hearings and procedures, and risk related questions
- Knowledgeable customer service representatives are easily accessible by telephone with live operators standing by, during regular business hours
- Online credit card processing and online check payment is available
Risk Management Services
- Risk Management Consultation Services are accessible for our policyholders with experienced and professional risk managers, on a variety of topics, such as record requests/retention, privacy questions and other risk related issues
- Discounted online Risk Management Courses with BehavioralHealth, Zurinstitute and Telehealth.
(Coverage Features and Discounts are subject to individual state approval and underwriting requirements)
There is no membership requirement to purchase the professional liability insurance. You are eligible if you hold a minimum of a bachelors degree in the field of social work, providing that you have supervision by a masters level mental health professional, or if you hold a masters degree or above.
American Professional Agency, Inc. is the Program Administer for the Social Workers Professional Liability Insurance program. The program is underwritten by Allied World Insurance Company, a member company of Allied World Assurance Company Holdings, GmbH, a Fairfax Company (“Allied World”).
No, there is no deductible applied should a claim arise.
A claims-made policy will provide professional liability coverage for you for incidents that happen between the effective date and the expiration date of your policy, the claim must be reported while the policy is in force. An Extended Reporting Period Endorsement, or “tail”, is necessary to protect against claims presented after the policy expires.
An Extended Reporting Period Endorsement (ERP) or “tail” allows you to terminate your policy, and still have coverage for future claims that are made based on events that occurred during the time period your policy was in force. The (ERP) is only available when the policy is terminated and it may be obtained for a charge. If you become permanently disabled, or in the event of your death or if you permanently retire the “tail” is offered to you free of charge.
Claims-made liability insurance has small stepped increases during the early years for each individual insured on the policy. Your rates increase for 6 years and then level off or mature. You should not expect additional rate increases on a mature claims-made policy unless you make changes to the policy.
Some states may require that you carry a minimum amount of coverage so it may be best that you check with your state licensing or regulatory board. You may also find that most managed-care entities, hospitals, and facilities require you to carry a minimum limit of $1,000,000 per incident and $3,000,000 aggregate. A limit of liability as high as $2,000,000 per claim/ $4,000,000 aggregate is available (unless a higher limit is required by your state).
Yes, legal defense expenses are included in the policy and are outside of the limit of liability. This means that you still have the full limit of liability for each individual claim.
Yes, provided your total working hours in all positions including your W2-form employment do not exceed 20 hours on an average week. You may exclude your activities as a W2 employee to obtain the part-time rate. The rates are available by clicking on the “Rates” section on this page.
Yes, you will pay less if you are working as a W2-form employee. The rates are available by clicking on the “Rates” section on this page.
Yes, we do offer a discount for the first two years after you graduate. The rates are available by clicking on the “Rates” section on this page.
Yes, the policy can be tailored to the way you practice, however you would not be eligible for the exclusively employed rate. Both part-time and full-time rates are available. The rates are available by clicking on the “Rates” section on this page.
Yes, please call our office at (800) 421-6694 (ext. 2308) to discuss this type of coverage and to obtain a quote.
Yes, there is a $35,000 defense reimbursement limit per incident. per proceeding, with NO annual aggregate limit, included in the policy; higher limits up to $150,000 are available at an additional charge. If there are no claims or complaints pending and you are not aware of any situation that may arise in a claim or complaint you may select the higher limits when you apply or make the change at a later date.
Yes, there is Information Privacy Coverage included in the policy with defense limits up to $25,000 for federal and state regulators who investigate you for violations of the privacy protections statute (where allowed by law).
Premises liability coverage is included in the policy. This coverage is for bodily injury and/or damage to property of patients on your primary location(s). To review the policy, please scroll down to the section named “Policies”. You can find specific information on pahe 1 of the contract uner:
I. INSURING AGREEMENTS
B.General Business Liability
Additional information on Fire Legal Liability, Medical Payments coverage and other coverages included in the Social Workers Professional Liability insurance are explained in the Policy Contract. If you prefer to speak with a representative please contact American Professional Agency, Inc. at (800) 421-6694 Ext.2308 or (631)691-6400 Ext.2308 for assistance.
There is First Party Assault and Battery Coverage with reimbursement up to $25,000 in medical expenses related to injuries and/or personal property damage caused by a patient or client. Please consult our policy for a full description of the coverage and benefits included going to the “Policies” section on this page.
Yes, risk management consultative services are accessible to our policyholders for a variety of topics such as record requests/retention, privacy questions and other risk related issues. To contact our knowledgeable risk managers please call (800) 897-0033.
Please contact American Professional Agency at (800) 421-6694 Ext.2308 or (631)691-6400 Ext.2308 for assistance or you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or you may also fax.
You may apply online or go to the “Applications” section to download and prnit an application which can be scanned and emailed to email@example.com or fax it.
The fastest way to apply is online. If you are sending a paper application the fastest method is to download and print an application and scan to firstname.lastname@example.org or FAX it; we will then set up a payment by credit card and send an email with instructions to make your payment. You may also use an online check. If you prefer to mail the application and a check (payable to the American Professional Agency, Inc) send it to:
American Professional Agency, Inc.
Attn: Social Work Department
Amityville, NY 11701
Our knowledgeable representatives are available and happy to assist you. Please call our switchboard at 800-421-6694 or 631-691-6400 (x-2308), email us at email@example.com or send a fax.
Risk Management info…
CE Course Providers
To assist you in obtaining your premium discount, we have negotiated a special benefit exclusive to our clients. APA, Inc. policyholders receive an unlimited 10% discount on all courses taken at BehavioralHealthCE.com. Simply obtain the current discount code in your renewal packet or contact APA, Inc. or BCHE. All BehavioralHealthCE.com courses are completed online. Unlike other CE providers, all BHCE courses can be viewed for free prior to purchasing your CE credits, so your satisfaction is guaranteed!
Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI) 10% Diiscount for APA, Inc. Policyholders
American Professional Agency partnered with Telebehavioral Health Institute (TBHI) to bring our policyholders a 10% discount on Telehealth Micro Certification packages.
Cyber Coverage Now Available for Social Workers
Social workers who maintain confidential client information have a responsibility to safeguard that data. With data breaches and cyber attacks becoming increasingly common, having the right cyber protection in place is critical. We offer Cyber Suite, a comprehensive coverage endorsement with multiple layers of insurance defense against the complex, ever-evolving cyber risks that social workers face every day.
Cyber Suite Endorsement Coverage Highlights
• First- and third-party coverage
• Data compromise response expense – provides the resources to respond to a breach of personal information.
• Computer attack – provides resources to respond to a computer attack.
• Cyber extortion – responds to an extortion threat.
• Data compromise liability – provides defense and settlement costs in the event of a suit related to a breach of personal information.
Risk Management Support
Access to eRiskHub®, a risk management portal designed to help prepare and respond effectively to data breach and cyber attacks.
• Access to “TechQ” which offers FREE computer diagnostics by phone and competitive rates for virus removal, technical assistance and related digital security services.
• Access to experts in recovering from cyber extortion and data breaches.
• Toll-free helpline to educate insureds about data breaches, cyber extortion and identity theft.
• Process to request case management services and submit expense reimbursement claims.
Managed by experienced and dedicated cyber claim specialists with industry knowledge.
A social worker lost her laptop that contained the names, social security numbers, and medical information of her clients. Notifications were sent to affected individuals
advising them to place a fraud alert with credit bureaus and to monitor their credit reports and other financial statements. Total Loss: $10,500
Coverage may be endorsed on to a new or renewed American Professional Agency Social Workers policy. Available in most states on an admitted basis.
Limits and Cost
• Only $170 for an aggregate Limit of $25,000.
(May not be approved in all states & rates may vary)
• Sublimits and/or a $1,000 deductible for certain
coverages may apply.
• Higher limits and broader coverage options
Please contact American Professional Agency at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-421-6694 (x2308) to learn more about our comprehensive cyber coverage endorsement.
Other Professionals are Saying...
I have been highly satisfied with the prompt / efficient service on the administrative (Mary) and risk (Janice) side of your liability insurance coverage.
– Brenna Coughlin, L.C.S.W.
For the many years that I have been using American Professional Agency to secure my malpractice insurance, I have been completely satisfied. The paperwork is straightforward and the billing simple. They now even take credit card payments so that I can obtain my airline reward miles. Most importantly, the ease of communication and interactions with the staff have all been outstanding. My questions and concerns have been addressed and answered quickly, thoroughly and professionally. I would highly recommend the services of American Professional Agency to colleagues without reservation.
– Karen – Chapel Hill
American Professional Agency, Inc. has been my malpractice carrier for twenty years, I have never been disappointed in the quality of their service.
– R.L. – Dallas, Texas
I am proud to say I have been covered by APA, Inc. for 9 years. They are always available to answer questions, even about the mere specter of liability. I know I can trust them with my practice.
– Jennifer Palmer
Credit Card Payments are accepted on-line only, we do not accept credit card payments over the phone. The name on your credit card MUST match the name on your policy (for identity verification purposes).
Please call our office at (800) 421-6694 for information on how to easily pay by Credit Card.
We accept the following:
Now accepting checks online!
Contact us for more information.
American Professional Agency is committed to providing you with current and competitive policies, prices and professional liability news. Feel free to contact us regarding any concerns or needs that you may have with your existing policy or the purchase of a new policy.
Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Eastern Time
Summer Hours: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm Eastern Time
(Memorial day through Labor Day)
American Professional Agency, Inc.
Amityville, NY 11701
To speak with one of our knowledgeable customer service representatives, please call (800) 421-6694 or (631) 691-6400. Having your account number or policy number available will expedite the process.